Aoléon: The Martian Girl
(Part 2: The Luminess of Mars)
In full compliance with FTC Guidelines,
|Aoléon The Martian Girl:
A Science Fiction
and Fantasy Saga
– Part 2: The Luminess of Mars,
written and illustrated
by Brent LeVasseur
Category: Middle-Grade, 90 pages
This book counts for the following Reading Challenges:
MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS BOOK
At the end of last year I was invited to review the first book in this series. So I’m glad to be back for part 2: Aoléon The Martian Girl: A Science Fiction and Fantasy Saga – Part 2: The Luminess of Mars, in which extra layers of plot are introduced, making it getting more complex and intriguing.
With still lots of hilarious details in the background, mirroring Earth life in Mars society, we get to know Aoléon better, her family, and her school system. The plot also thickens as we meet the Mars matriarch, the Luminess. There’s something weird going on in her palace, and Aoléon will have to decide if she is ready to take the risk to investigate.
It can be quite dangerous, as the system sounds close to totalitarianism:
- there’s a scary elite order of Martian special forces soldiers with extremely powerful weapons
- Mars has an equivalent to the CIA
- And maybe even more dangerous, Martians use telepathy to beam information or commands directly into your brain. Not easy to protect yourself. And you can’t even lie, as your lies will be perceived right away!
- But you can always use your cloaking shield, which makes you invisible, and you can walk up walls, quite useful!
- Or you can have recourse to the ultimate solution: teleportation, or phasing, through super-consciousness.
Like on Earth, there can be lots of traffic (air traffic). There are also red light zones, some illegal-alien activities, and gangs.
At school, you can study (Martian) anthropology and meet with “exchange students” coming from other planets and star systems.
Here are some funny details I really enjoyed:
- the name of a Martian rock band: The Black Holes
- They even eat some type of pizza, delivered from Saturn!
- Mars is running out of milk to make the base of their food, the galact, so they may have to steal milking cows from Earth!
- The use of Greek (the galact is but one example, with great play on words of course for space stuff) for some Martian terminology!
No civilized world can exist without pizza.
It would seem that bad school food is a constant in the universe
The book has also lots of scientific details, for instance on plasma, speed, etc. To better understand this and invented terminology, you can find a Glossary at the end of the book.
And of course the illustrations are awesome.
VERDICT: Take a break and follow Gilbert and her Martian friend. Have fun but be careful: the trip is turning into a dangerous mission! Easy quick hilarious science-fiction.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
based on lovable characters
designed to translate well to multiple media formats
such as books, games, movies, and toys.
He lives in New York
when he is not commuting between Southern California and Olympus Mons, Mars.
His hobbies include writing, 3D animation, musical composition, and intergalactic space travel.
He also enjoys various sports such as skiing, running, and exospheric skydiving.
Buy The Martian Girl Song!
Another World – Single
Featuring Élan Noelle
HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOK YET?
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE SCIENCE FICTION AUTHOR?
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS IN A COMMENT PLEASE