Eastern Orthodox are one of the few, or the only?, surviving species of Christians who still take the fast very seriously, and I’m not only talking about monks and nuns, but about lay people as well.
We have several fasting periods during the year, the longest one being during the Great Lent, the weeks preparing to Pascha, that is, the celebration of Christ’s Resurrection.
We enter progressively into this fasting period, first by fasting of meat a week ahead, and then, it’s: no meat, no fish, no dairy, no egg, for 40 days.
Conclusion: you really need to be creative to provide healthy meals with enough proteins and nutrients.
I have shared this fantastic recipe with some friends, but more ask for it, and the page is totally gone from the internet, I cannot even access the cached copy!
There are lots of Lentil burgers recipes out there, but I know for sure this one works really well
Thank God I had printed it.
So here it is, enjoy, it is so easy to make, totally Lenten, and so very good:
Makes 8 burgers – or more if you form small patties, which I tend to do.
- 1 cup of lentils. I also tried with red lentils, I thought it was even better
- 4 cups of water
- 1-1/2 cups of regular oats
- 3/4 cup mild salsa [that’s what makes everything stick together]
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt = totally unnecessary and not as healthy
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place the lentils in 4 cups of water
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mn or until done
- Pour off the excess of water
- Allow to slightly cool
- Add oats through pepper to the lentils
- Mix thoroughly
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool completely
Next day if you wish:
- When ready to make, scoop out 1/2 cup of servings or less
- Form into a patty
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 mn
- Flip the patties
- Bake for 15 more mn
They are good warm or cold.
I usually make a lot and freeze some. They are also good eaten in a pita with salad leaves. Or any other creative way you may come up with!
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!
DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE VEGAN/LENTEN RECIPE?